Which website is listed on the back of your ID card?


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How does a student get a temporary ID card?

Once students are enrolled in the Blue Student Health plan, they can log into to print a temporary ID card. Enrolled students can also log into the myibxtpa mobile app for AndroidTM or iPhone® to get or email a PDF image of their ID card.

Back to top

2. What happens if a student who is enrolled in the student health plan leaves school?

If a student graduates or does not return to school the following academic year, coverage under his or her student health plan ends.

If a student has paid for the coverage and leaves school 31 days or more after the start of the year, the student’s health plan coverage will continue for the remainder of that school year.

Back to top

3. Can a student enroll at any time during the semester?

Students can enroll at two times:

  • During their school’s open enrollment period;
  • If they experience a qualifying life event that causes them to lose other coverage or changes their eligibility status.

Examples of qualifying life events include loss of coverage that was available through employment, loss of eligibility under their parents’ plan, marriage, divorce, having a child, or adopting a child. Students must enroll within 31 days of the qualifying life event.

Back to top

4. How do students reach the customer experience department?

Students can call 1-888-547-5080 to speak to a customer experience advocate.

Back to top

5. How can students find out if their doctors are in the network?

Students can visit to search for network doctors and hospitals. We recommend confirming participation with the medical office staff.

Back to top

6. What types of services require preapproval (precertification)?

All inpatient hospital admissions and certain surgical and diagnostic procedures require precertification. Some services and procedures that require precertification include:

  • inpatient surgery and procedures
  • psychiatric and substance abuse inpatient and partial admissions
  • rehabilitation admissions
  • skilled nursing facility admissions
  • sub-acute and long term acute care admissions

Back to top

7. How do students get preapproval (precertification)?

The health care provider or enrolled student must call Clinical Services at the number on the student’s ID card to obtain required precertification. The provider can also request precertification online.

Back to top

8. Can students use this insurance when they are at home or away from campus?

Whether at home or traveling throughout the U.S., enrolled students have access to doctors and hospitals through Independence Administrators’ provider network plus the BlueCard® program, which gives access to health care providers who participate with independent Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® plans across the country.

Back to top

9. What coverage does a student have when traveling outside of the U.S.?

Wherever and whenever enrolled students travel internationally, Blue Cross Blue Shield Global CoreTM makes it easy for them to locate a provider — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Online or over the phone, they can find the information they need to access care.

Parents and students can visit or call 1-800-810-2583 to find out more information about coverage outside of the U.S.

Back to top

10. What should students do if they need to speak to a nurse or doctor when the student health center is closed?

Students have access to a 24/7 Nurse Helpline to get immediate health information. A registered nurse can direct them to the appropriate level of care for their illness or injury, which may help reduce their health care costs. Students can call the helpline at 1-888-547-5080 and select option four.

Back to top

11. What should students do if they are sick? Where do they go for medical care?

Students should first visit their school’s health center for treatment. If the health center is closed, they may seek care from a medical provider who participates in the Blue Student Health plan.

Back to top

12. What should students do in an emergency?

Students should seek care from the school health center. For immediate treatment for an emergency, students should seek care at an emergency room or urgent care center, or dial 911.

Back to top

13. Is vision care offered with this plan?

The Blue Student Health plan includes:

  • pediatric vision coverage, in compliance with the Affordable Care Act;
  • a discount program — to help you save on eligible annual eye exams, lenses, and frames — offered through Davis Vision®.

Back to top

14. Who is eligible for pediatric vision coverage and what is covered?

All members age 18 and younger enrolled in a Blue Student Health plan are eligible for pediatric vision coverage (students and any dependents enrolled in the plan). This coverage includes:

  • eye examination including dilation (when professionally indicated) — once per calendar year
  • spectacle lenses — one pair per calendar year: clear plastic single-vision, lined bifocal, trifocal, or lenticular lenses (any prescription); oversized lenses; tinting of plastic lenses; scratch-resistant coating; polycarbonate lenses
  • frames — one per calendar year
  • medically necessary contact lenses (with prior approval) — materials, evaluation, fitting, and follow-up care

Back to top

15. Who is eligible for the Davis Vision discount program and what is covered?

All students enrolled in Blue Student Health are eligible to participate in the Davis Vision Discount Program. This program includes a comprehensive annual eye examination for $35 at participating Davis Vision providers, as well as significant discounts on frames, corrective lenses, and contact lenses.

Only enrolled students are eligible. Dependents of the student enrolled in the plan are not eligible to participate in the discount program.

Back to top

16. What health plan information does a student need to share with providers to get discounts for vision care?

Students can show their Independence Administrators ID card at any Davis Vision network provider to get a $35 comprehensive annual eye exam and other discounts. Students can register and log in to the member site at to learn more about their vision care discount program and to locate network providers.

Back to top

17. Is dental care offered with this plan?

Pediatric dental coverage is included for members age 19 and younger enrolled in a Blue Student Health plan, in compliance with the Affordable Care Act. This includes the student and any dependents enrolled in the plan.

Back to top

18. What does pediatric dental coverage cover?

United Concordia® administers the Pediatric Dental Benefits, which provide exams, X-rays, and cleanings along with other basic covered benefits. There is no cost to the member when using a participating dental provider. Parents and students can contact United Concordia at 1-866-568-5994 or visit for more information.

Back to top

19. What prescriptions are covered under the plan?

Many frequently prescribed drugs are covered. FutureScripts® administers the prescription drug program for Blue Student Health. To verify whether a specific drug is covered, visit the FutureScripts member website or call FutureScripts at 1-888-678-7013.

Back to top

20. Should students call Blue Student Health before getting medical care?

You plan requires precertification for non-emergency hospital stays and certain surgeries and procedures. The health care provider or enrolled student must call Clinical Services at the number on the student’s ID card to obtain the required precertification.

For a list of services requiring precertification, students can log into their account, call a customer experience advocate, or refer to their Blue Student Health plan enrollment brochure or Schedule of Benefits.

Back to top

21. Where can students get more information?

Once enrolled in a Blue Student Health plan, students can log into for:

  • information on eligibility, benefits, and claims;
  • an online directory of network doctors and hospitals;
  • decision-making support tools;
  • health-related sites and resources;
  • a temporary ID card or to request a replacement ID card.

When a member enrolled in Blue Student Health has a question about their plan, he or she can call 1-888-547-5080 to speak with a customer experience advocate. Student members can also find that number by accessing their ID card online or through the myibxtpa mobile app. Member ID cards will also be mailed to students.

Back to top

Android is a trademark of Google Inc. iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.

Davis Vision is an independent company that provides vision benefit services for Blue Student Health plan.

Dental products are offered independently by United Concordia. This is not a Blue Cross product. United Concordia is solely responsible for the dental products.

FutureScripts is an independent company that provides pharmacy benefit management services for Blue Student Health plan.

Blue Student Health complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. Blue Student Health does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. For more information on this and how to request language assistance services, click here.

Blue Student Health benefits are underwritten by QCC Insurance Company and administered by Independence Administrators, independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.

The BLUE CROSS and BLUE SHIELD names and symbols Blue365, BlueCard, and Blue Distinction are registered marks and Blue Student Health is a service mark of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.

Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core is a brand owned by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.