Consumer Directed Health Programs
Effective health plan cost management occurs when not only the administrator and plan sponsor work to control health plan utilization and costs, but when members are engaged in that process. Independence Administrators’ CDHP program services are designed to improve the health care cost equation by empowering members to improve participation in preventive care and compliance with health care treatment, and by supporting better-informed health care consumers.
Contact an Independence Administrators sales representative for more information or to request a proposal.
Manage Health Care Costs and Offer Value to Your Members
Consumer directed health programs (CDHP) are the next generation of managed health care plans. CDHPs take an active approach to engaging members in health care spending and health management, and ultimately support a healthier workforce and better management of health plan costs.
Employers can choose to introduce CDHP plans as a full replacement to the existing health benefits program, or can offer CDHP options alongside other managed care options, such as a PPO. Incentives can be designed to encourage members to participate and better manage their health.
Through our BlueSaversm program, Independence Administrators provides a comprehensive selection of services that enable plan sponsors to tailor a program that best fits its corporate objectives and workforce needs. Key components of a successful CDHP plan include:
- health plan
- PPO or HSA-compatible high deductible health plan (HDHP)
- health account
- medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSA)
- health reimbursement arrangements (HRA)
- health savings account (HSA)
- transit and parking accounts
- health management services
- preventive care benefits
- wellness program
- disease management
- health coaching
- consumer decision support tools and resources
Integrated Consumer Resources, Management Tools, and Administration
Independence Administrators simplifies program implementation and management by providing integrated administration and online access to health accounts and information.
Independence Administrators’ consumer directed health program solution features include:
- integrated administration of the health plan, health accounts, and health management components;
- comprehensive management reports to monitor program performance;
- consolidated member Explanation of Benefits (EOB) statements for the health plan and HRA if offered, flexible spending account (FSA) activity is also included;
- direct HRA reimbursement to the health care provider;
- optional debit cards that give members immediate access to health account funds to pay for eligible expenses at the point of service or sale;
- direct deposit for faster health account reimbursements and streamlined record keeping;
- information and tools that empower members to manage their health care choices.
Health Reimbursement Arrangements
Health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) are personal health accounts funded by the plan sponsor that engage members to participate in managing health plan dollars. HRAs can reduce the plan sponsor’s exposure to federal and state taxes. They can be designed to allow plan members to “bank” unused funds to cover future medical expenses. HRAs can be offered alongside flexible spending accounts (FSAs).
Health Savings Accounts
A health savings account (HSA) must be offered in conjunction with an HSA-compatible high deductible health plan compliant with IRS guidelines. The HSA can be funded by the employer, employee, or both. For the member, an HSA offers the advantages of portability and investment options. The HSA is owned by the member and is portable should the member change employers. Members can select a banking or investment option offered through the employer, or choose their own banking or investment arrangements.
Independence Administrators offers a preferred banking arrangement with The Bancorp Bank.